Thursday, March 22, 2007

O solitude, my sweetest choice by Katherine Philips
Music by Henry Purcell , resung by ELEND

O solitude, my sweetest choice!
Places devoted to the night,
Remote from tumult and from noise,
How ye my restless thoughts delight!
O solitude, my sweetest choice!
O heav'ns! what content is mine
To see these trees, which have appear'd
From the nativity of time,
And which all ages have rever'd,
To look today as fresh and green
As when their beauties first were seen.
O, how agreeable a sight
These hanging mountains do appear,
Which th' unhappy would invite
To finish all their sorrows here,
When their hard fate makes them endure
Such woes as only death can cure.
O, how I solitude adore!
That element of noblest wit,
Where I have learnt Apollo's lore,
Without the pains to study it.
For thy sake I in love am grown
With what thy fancy does pursue;
But when I think upon my own,
I hate it for that reason too,
Because it needs must hinder me
From seeing and from serving thee.
O solitude, O how I solitude adore!


آه عزلت، ای خواست شیرین­ ام!
ای مقام شبانه،
شبانه ­ترین ­­ام
به دور از رنجه­ های ­نیاز
عاشقانه،
می ­نوازی به راز،
افكار بی­ قرارم...
آه عزلت، ای خواست شیرین­ ام!
ای فراز!
چه درونی، چه دری می­ بینم
سربرآورده از عزل
از پس بزرگ ­داشت زمان
در لباس این درختان
سبز و زنده
به آذین­ های نو،
چون جلوه ­ی نخست...
آه، نگاه­شان كن
این قله­ های آونگ را
انگار كه می­ خوانند به خوان،
اوی دل تنگ را
كه تقدیرش چنین خواند
به آهی چنان،
كه خوش می­ دمد مرگ را...
آه،‌ چه می­ ستایم ­ات، ای تنهایی!
ای جوهر اصیل دانایی
در تو می ­خوانم
می­آموزم بی­ كتاب،
درس سخت ­خوان ِ زیبایی...
و برای توست،
كه می­ بالم به مهر
كه او، مهر،
خود در پی مهر توست؛
و گاه كه به آن می ­اندیشم،
برای همین دلتنگم می ­كند
كه باید پابندم كند،
نگاهم دارد،
از نگاه­ كردن­، از نگاه داشتن­ ات...
آه عزلت،
چه می­ ستایم ­ات، ای تنهایی...!

No comments: